Thursday, October 25, 2007

Girls Night In - Breast Cancer Research

The Principal at our school had a Girls Night In tonight, and I said I would make a cushion to go with her raffel prize. These special little Skipping Girls proved very popular and many tickets were sold.
The lucky winner was our lovely young groovy Art Teacher who had fallen in love with the cushion. What she didn't know, was that if she didn't win, I was going to make one for her anyway as she loved it so much!
A couple of years ago, my mum was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. She went through a hard year, but has come through it. My best friend from High School was not so lucky. She was struck with it at a much younger age and fought for several years before the cancer spread to most parts of her body and finally to the lining of her brain, and stole her life away. She left behind a husband and 3 young children. I am going to have a Girls Night In of my own and will make another cushion to raffel to raise money for research.

On a brighter note, I forgot to mention that the headbands are reversable, so if you use 2 different fabrics, you get 2 headbands in one. They are just fantastic. Has anyone tried one yet?

And if you can't tell, I'm just a bit "in love" with my caterpillar at school!I was so thrilled with the comments that I thought I'd show you the whole thing. Unfortunately we have had to interrupt our Life Cycle unit to deal with "Our Bodies" as the Life Ed Van is in town, however we will get back to the Life Cycles all in good time.
The exciting thing is, that when we do, it will be about the Life Cycle of plants! Right up my alley.

10 comments:

Locket Pocket said...

Hi Annie, the cushion is amazing and it is lovely to see the whole caterpillar! Good luck with your girl's night in. Lucy x

Margaret said...

The cushion is darling and thank you for supporting breast cancer research. I am a 5 year survivor of breast cancer and I had wonderful treatment thanks to caring people just like you.

dutchcomfort said...

I love the cushion and what a great idea to have a girls-night-in. It’s two years ago this month I have breast-surgery. It turned out to be non-malicious! I have been grateful every day since!

dutchcomfort said...

P.S. I meant to say I had... sorry

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous cushion, I love all the fabrics you've used.
That catapilliar looks like it's come straight out of the book.
I'm sure the kids love the chalk board being covered, does that mean no other work can be given. Ha Ha Ha

Bren said...

Annie your caterpillar is exquisite! You should send a picture to Eric Carle!I also love the cushion. The fabrics are perfect together! Hope you will be making soemthing similar for your own Girl's night in!!!

Jenny said...

The art teacher is a lucky duck-fantastic, vibrant cushion.You are very thoughtful and kind Annie.And the caterpillar is so cheerful(and huge!!!)

Laura said...

Oooo you are a busy bee!I love the hungry caterpillar and the cushion is just gorgeous!I hope you raise lots of money...I'd certainly buy a ticket!

Kate said...

That is a great cushion!
I love teaching using Eric Carle books and your caterpillar is fantastic!

JK said...

Aaah! the life-ed van. What memories...teaching at all-girls school, memories of quiet listening and folded hands on crossed knees, then at all-boys school, praying to whoever was listening that the aspergers and the 3 ADHD kids controlled themselves while the other boys all pushed and shoved their way to the front and heckled the puppet. I miss teaching!